I know - it’s not news that I looove candles. What I don’t like is the black smoke that appear when the candle wick is blown out. Well, a candle is not suppose to be blown out. Here’s why.
Light Your Moment!!
When you light a candle, the wax begin to melt in and near the wick. The wick absorbs the liquid wax and pulls it upward. The heat of the flame vaporizes the wax, and it is the wax vapor that burns.
So when you blow out a candle, you notice a stream of black smoke leaving the wick. This stream is wax vapor that has condensed into a visible form. It continues to form as long as the wick is hot enough to vaporize the wax. If you touch a lit match to the stream, a flame will run down it and re-light the wick.
Don’t blow - Pour or Dip!
To avoid all that nasty black stuff, use a long latte spoon to pour melted wax over the wick or take a long pair of tweezers and bend the wick into the wax. Both methods works to extinguish the flame, with minimal smoke. Then use the end of the spoon or the tweezers to straighten the wick out, ready or the next burn.
A candle flame is a hot little thing. As the flame is burning the tip of the wick turns red/orange. This part of the wick can reach 800°C that’s a whopping 1470°F. So then you BLOW your candle out it will continue to “steam” as long as the wick is hot enough to vaporize the wax, causing it to smoke.